[ESS] Scrolling of the *R* buffer at point - clarification for Aquamacs newbie

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Nov 17 23:42:48 CET 2009

I don't use Aquamacs, but am using Emacs 23 (compiled locally from
CVS) on OSX.

Aquamacs can use either the ~/.emacs file or more typically and I
believe preferentially:

   ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el

The three options in the post below will scroll the buffer windows to
the bottom of the frame after input and/or output.

There is an additional option, which moves the cursor or 'point' to
the bottom as well. This is:

   comint-move-point-for-output

If this is true (or non-nil), then the cursor moves as well.
Otherwise, the buffer may scroll, but the cursor may not follow.

These options are described in the Emacs manual here:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Shell-Options.html

In either of the aforementioned configuration files, you can paste:

(setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input nil)
(setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output nil)
(setq comint-move-point-for-output nil)
(setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output nil)

Those four lines should disable the autoscrolling and cursor movement.
If that works to some extent, then try enabling each in turn to see
how it affects the behavior, until you get something that works for
you. Replace 'nil' with 't' to enable each.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz