[ESS] future roxygen support

Daniel Sabanes Bove daniel.sabanesbove at gmx.net
Sun May 10 13:26:12 CEST 2009

Hi Stephen,

yes, I think there is a "chicken-and-egg situation" for Emacs users,
because the Rd editing is much better supported at the moment. If
roxygen is going to be developed further and with better editing
support in ESS / other (Windows) editors, I can imagine that in a few
years time most new packages will use roxygen.

At least in essd-r.el the word "semantic" appears :-) Because roxygen
wants to be similar/ is inspired by doxygen it should (theoretically)
be possible to write the necessary semantic files. The semantic source
which includes e.g. java support does look quite well organized. Of
course, this would be a more long-term project. But I can imagine that
there could be some other benefits as side effects for ESS? If
somebody from ESS core is familiar with semantic / the tools around it
(e.g. I read something like "Bison Parser Generator" etc.), perhaps
this project could be relatively easily partitioned into small work
parts (e.g. control tokens, roxygen tags, grammar, ...) which could
then be handled by volunteers?

As short-term goals I wish I had some syntax highlighting (different
colours for the "roclets"), beginning of next line with "##'" if the
previous line also had this (instead of just the comment beginning
"##"), key bindings for the most important roclets (e.g. C-c C-r C-a
for @author and then ask for the author name interactively).

Best,
Daniel