[ESS] font colors out of sync in *R* buffer

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat May 2 13:54:32 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 04:09, Ron Burns <rrburns at cox.net> wrote:
> Dear all-
>
> I have a minor problem after updating a bunch of my libraries.  When one of
> them loads it seems to spew out an extra " or ' or something that toggles
> the *R* buffer into the "pink" font color mode for quoted text.

(brown for me).  Yes, I know the unpleasant experience.
In my case, it is almost always a non-matching back-quote : " ` "
and stems from the old way of "quoting", namely  `this'  or  `that'.

I've recently noticed that even the recommended package  "mgcv" has
adopted this atrocity,
 > library(mgcv)
 This is mgcv  1.5-3 . For overview type `help("mgcv-package")'.

but did not get around to ask Simon (and similar package authors) to
revert to using '...'  or then use the R function
sQuote(.)  which uses '...' or Unicode back- and forward-quotes that
do *not* mess up the ESS *R* buffer.

> R does not
> think it has mismatched quotes (I tried inputing a " but then of course R
> insists that I match it.)   I can't seem to figure out a clean way to reset
> the  buffer to it's normal state.   Currently  I  C-x-h  (select  all) in
> the *R* buffer and then C-w to get rid of everything.  While this clears the
> buffer and resets the highlighting it seems to be a bit drastic.  Pointers
> to a solution or a sequence of key strokes gratefully accepted!

Well,   C-r  `  C-d C-x ]     would solve the backquote problem..

Regards, Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich