[ESS] Only interested in fontification

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 5 19:48:42 CEST 2009

Byte-compile all your files, including for example the ess files. I
don't know how you have installed stuff, but you can do something like
this (from the command line), to do it for all elisp files in a
directory:

# emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile *.el

There is also code on the web for doing this automatically, as in
(pseudo-code)
   if if *.el is newer than *.elc do
     byte-compile *.el

If you are using Emacs 23 you could also look into running a daemon,
but I have no experience doing that.

Kasper