[ESS] Only interested in fontification

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jun 5 19:30:01 CEST 2009

On Jun 5, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Daniel Muenz wrote:

> Hi, I'm wondering if there's a way to only use the syntax highlighting
> aspects of ESS, and not load in any other features?  I want Emacs to
> highlight/fontify/colorize keywords and the like, but I don't want
> to be
> able to submit the code through Emacs.
>
> I'm hoping that by not loading all the extra features, I can get
> Emacs to
> load a bit quicker.
>

> Thanks for any help,
> Daniel

You must have other stuff getting loaded in your .emacs file resulting
in the delay.

On OSX using Emacs 23, from the time that I click the icon on the dock
until the scratch buffer is open and ready for editing, it takes about
3 seconds and I have a fair amount of stuff besides ESS being loaded.
It's about the same amount of time if I click on a .R file in Finder
to open it for editing.

I would look to see what else is getting loaded at startup. You could
also put your .emacs files someplace where folks can perhaps look at
it to provide some additional insight. Also, let us know what OS and
what version of Emacs.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz