[ESS] Windows Vista and Emacs/ESS

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 22 03:24:16 CET 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I told my students that it was easiest to install the Emacs for
> windows that already has ESS in it.  I mean the one that Vincent
> Goulet provides
>
> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/
>
> Today a student came in with a Laptop that had this strange operating
> system called "Windows Vista" :)
>
> When he starts emacs and opens an R file, and then clicks on R to
> start R, a window pops up asking him to choose a directory for data.
> no matter what we do with that GUI, no matter what directory we pick,
> the window does not respond. Keep clicking OK forever, nothing
> happened.
>
> It is lucky for us that I'm old school, and showed him the old M-x R
> trick, and within Emacs itself we could set a working directory.
>
> Have you seen this problem?

I have seen this too with Vista, again prompted by a student, and gave the
same workaround.

David Scott
David Scott	Department of Statistics
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055		Fax: +64 9 373 7018
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics