[ESS] Issue with error/warning messages in Emacs.app

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Sun Jan 18 22:04:17 CET 2009

Stephen,

Le dim. 18 janv. à 05:19, Stephen Eglen a écrit :

> hi Vincent,
> I've just tried your Emacs.app -- for me when I do M-x R, emacs
> seems to
> hang, until I press C-g to quit.

Never had any issue with this with my build. R starts just fine.

>  I can then see that an *R* buffer has
> been created, and after the copyright message for R, I see:
>
> [Previously saved workspace restored]
>

> So, those pesky ctrl characters are also preventing R from starting
> normally.
>
> Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>

>> M-x getenv RET TERM RET gives "dumb". Doesn't look too good, heh?
>>
>> OTOH, in R,
>>
>>> Sys.getenv("TERM")
>>   TERM
>> "emacs"
>>
>> I confess I'm somewhat lost, here. What would be a good value? How do
>> we set the TERM?
>
> I see the same in your application.  BUT I'm not sure if we we need to
> change the value of TERM.  I also have separately built emacs from CVS
> sources a while ago, and in that Emacs, the TERM is also dumb, and
> yet I
> see no problems running R (2.8.1).  The CVS Emacs I tried is from
> 2008-12-20, just using the nextstep flag, i.e.
> configure --with-ns

Same here. In trying to make a universal binary, I built with the
following:

CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386" ./configure --with-ns
CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386" make -j3

(I'm not sure in which step, configure or make, I should specify
CFLAGS.)

I don't have a PPC machine available, so I don't know whether the
binary is indeed universal. I'd appreciate if anyone could make the
test.

> If it helps, I could tar up that Emacs for you and send it you to
> see if
> it is a build issue... it would be great to have an ESS+Emacs for mac
> users as well as you have done for Windows, and this is somethiing I
> could help out with.

I could certainly use some help. Now, we each have an issue with our
own build, so I guess we sort of even out! :-) Any other ideas?

Vincent