[ESS] Setting gud-mode as default following "C-u M-x R -d gdb"

McDave d_pleydell at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 16:56:08 CET 2009

"C-u M-x R [enter] -d gdb [enter]" gives me a gdb buffer running in iESS
mode.

In this mode I can only use  "M-p" or "M-n" to navigate a command history in
R, i.e. following a "run" or "continue" from the (gdb) prompt. Using those
key strokes at the (gdb) prompt gives a "No command on this line" error.

An easy hack is to then execute "M-x gud-mode". Now I can navigate the
command history in both R and gdb :o)

My question: how can I make this the default mode so I don't have to type it
every time I start the debugger?

Many thanks
David