[ESS] ESS on Mac slower than R.app?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Dec 23 17:29:38 CET 2009

On 12/23/09 10:15 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> I don't know if it has been fixed (as per Rodney's email), but it used to be the case that it took forever to fontify the R buffer when you copied things over.  The solution many people have adopted is to use
>
> (setq ess-eval-visibly-p nil)
>
> This means that whatever you send to the R buffer does not get echoed (which I actually find nice once you get used to it).  A by-product is that it speeds everything up substantially.
>
> Now, this is more a work-around than a fix.
>
> Kasper

Hi Kasper:

Let's not argue about who killed who o:)  But, it is definitely a bug.
For example, if you had tried this in XEmacs, prior to the bug fix,
then you would have seen no hesitation.  That is about the only
advantage of the GNU Emacs vs. XEmacs split.  It is very easy
to see whether the problem is with ESS or emacs.

Rodney