[ESS] ESS on Mac slower than R.app?

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 23 17:15:30 CET 2009

I don't know if it has been fixed (as per Rodney's email), but it used to be the case that it took forever to fontify the R buffer when you copied things over.  The solution many people have adopted is to use

(setq ess-eval-visibly-p nil)

This means that whatever you send to the R buffer does not get echoed (which I actually find nice once you get used to it).  A by-product is that it speeds everything up substantially.

Now, this is more a work-around than a fix.

Kasper