[ESS] Emacs won't start with ESS

Gustavo Lacerda guse at optimizelife.com
Sat Aug 22 23:12:18 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Martin
Maechler<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 05:11, spencerg<spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:
>>     Is there a way to get that from Emacs?  It clearly knows.
>
>> There could
>> be several files by that name on your computer, but Emacs would use (at
>> most) one of them.
>
> Yes.   M-x locate-library  ess-site

Thanks.

For me, Emacs is using:
C:\Program Files\emacs\emacs-22.3\site-lisp\ess-5.4\lisp\ess-site.el

> The "80% of the times"  is puzzling.
>
> Could it be that you start emacs differently, and you get different
> versions of emacs, or at least different "emacs paths"?   The relevant
> info inside emacs is

I don't think so.

I should add: when it doesn't work, it feels as if the loading never ends.

> C-h v  load-path

trouble is, I can't do this on the attempts to run Emacs that *didn't* work.

I also tried Rich's suggestion to use  (load-file "C:\Program
Files\emacs\emacs-22.3\site-lisp\ess-5.4\lisp\ess-site.el") instead of
"require".

After doubling the blackslashes (the first being an escape character),
I seem to get the same behavior as before. (it hasn't succeded yet,
but it might a few hours from now)

Thanks!

Gustavo