[ESS] Emacs won't start with ESS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 22 10:07:44 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 05:11, spencerg<spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:
>     Is there a way to get that from Emacs?  It clearly knows.

> There could
> be several files by that name on your computer, but Emacs would use (at
> most) one of them.

Yes.   M-x locate-library  ess-site
it will show that it does find with (require 'ess-site).
Note that this may be ess-site.elc [if existing] rather than ess-site.el.

The "80% of the times"  is puzzling.

Could it be that you start emacs differently, and you get different
versions of emacs, or at least different "emacs paths"?   The relevant
info inside emacs is

C-h v  load-path

Hoping that helps further (I won't be around e-mail for the rest of
the weekend though).
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich