[ESS] Emacs 23.1 is out

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Aug 4 21:00:01 CEST 2009

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> FWIW, here is my shell script to build Emacs 23 from their CVS on OSX.
> This is a modification of the script that I had been using on Fedora
> Linux with 23 for quite some time. The anti-aliased fonts for Linux, as
> compared to the prior versions of Emacs, is a blessing to readability on
> LCD/LED panels.
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
> cd emacs
> ./configure --with-ns
> make bootstrap
> make
> make install
> sudo cp -r nextstep/Emacs.app /Applications/Emacs.app
>

> I don't have any MacPorts stuff on my system any longer, as I found
> their version dependencies on several packages to be overly problematic.
> It is easier just to get the individual packages from upstream.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

Hi Marc:

I'll have to give it another try.  Although, I have been generally
hostile to packaging systems like Debian and MacPorts, I can't agree.
I suppose Emacs is a special case since OS X ships with terminal Emacs
and therefore many of the prereqs are already there (similarly, ESS is
a special case since it only depends on emacs).  However, have you
ever tried to compile subversion package by package?  I have and I
can tell you that there are so many prereqs that it can NOT be easily
done.  In fact, each prereq is another point of potential failure to
such an extent that I was without subversion for more than a year
until we moved to a new system on which I installed Blastwave.

Rodney