[ESS] Emacs 23.1 is out

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Aug 4 18:48:23 CEST 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> Stephen Eglen wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> New releases of GNU Emacs don't happen very often, so I thought I'd
>> copy
>> this announcement to the list.  ESS has been working fine with the
>> prereleases of Emacs 23.1.  One of the key new features here is that
>> finally Emacs can use Xft for font rendering, which means antialiased
>> text at last!!!  Viewing PDFs and postscript files in line is nice
>> too.
>> Stephen
>
> Well, I don't want to go off-topic tangent.  But, it compiles on OS X,
> however, installation seems a little goofy.  I've been using the
> MacPorts emacs-app-devel instead or whatever it is called (who comes
> up with these nonsensical names?  ESS rolls off the tongue by
> contrast :0)
>
> Rodney

FWIW, here is my shell script to build Emacs 23 from their CVS on OSX.
This is a modification of the script that I had been using on Fedora
Linux with 23 for quite some time. The anti-aliased fonts for Linux,
as compared to the prior versions of Emacs, is a blessing to
readability on LCD/LED panels.

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
cd emacs
./configure --with-ns
make bootstrap
make
make install
sudo cp -r nextstep/Emacs.app /Applications/Emacs.app

I don't have any MacPorts stuff on my system any longer, as I found
their version dependencies on several packages to be overly
problematic. It is easier just to get the individual packages from
upstream.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz