[ESS] loading ESS mode conditional on certain file names

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Apr 11 14:08:18 CEST 2009

Adrian Dragulescu <adrian_d at eskimo.com> writes:

> 1) I have (require 'ess-site) in my .emacs file. Can I make it
> conditional on the file extension? I would like to run this require
> command only if file I open has a .R or .r extension. If I
> double-click on a txt file, I don't need ESS. I just want to open the
> file fast. Without the ess require statement my start up is 2 seconds.

The require command should only get run when you start emacs. It doesn't
get called with every file you open. When you open a regular txt file,
does it start in ess-mode? If that's happening, you've probably got something
funny in your .emacs - check for lines with (setq auto-mode-alist ...
that might be setting txt files to open in ess-mode.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
Tired of spyware? Try Firefox: