[ESS] R - Help buffer

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 17:07:29 CEST 2008

gerald.jean at dgag.ca wrote:

> But when I run R through ESS, C-c C-v will still prompt me for a help topic
> but when I type a topic what shows up in the *help[R] fct. name* buffer is:
>
> Error in help("glm", pager = "slynx -dump", window = F) :
>   unused argument(s) (window = FALSE)
>
> I tried setting the "pager" and the "help.pager" options to "emacsclient",
> as they are when running Splus but to no avail, I still get the same error.

hmmm... there may be leakage from the lisp code for splus help into the
lisp code  for R help help; R shouldn't need the pager to be set, and so
seeing pager = 'sylnx -dump' is the probable cause of the error.

Can you try a new emacs session, start R and then try C-c C-v?  (i.e. don't
start S).  Also, take out any settings for pager and help.pager from
your .emacs, if it still doesn't work.

Stephen