[ESS] Process R hangup

karl FORNER karl.forner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 14:53:51 CEST 2008

Hello,
We're experiencing a strange problem here using xemacs + ESS on an Altix with
itaniums.
When we run via ESS (eval line or eval region) a R command that is not
instaneous (say >= 30 seconds), the iESS window freezes with the following error
message :
 "Process R hangup at Fri Oct  3 14:12:19 2008"

I have no idea from where it comes "I tried so grep for the word "hangup"in the
whole src tree of xemacs, R and ESS without any success.

The problem is reproducible with the following commands :

library(affyPLM);
load("data.affyBatch.rda")
data.affyBatch.plm <- fitPLM(data.affyBatch, model=PM~-1+probes+samples);

it's the last command the produces the error after a few tens of seconds.
The very same commands on another linux box run just fine.

Here're the details of the computer :
Altix with 1.6 Ghz Itanium 2 cpus, running SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (ia64)
I tried various xemacs 21.4.x versions, including the last one.
And two versions of ESS.

Someone has any clue of what could cause this problem, or whom I should ask for
help ?

Thanks
Karl