[ESS] Fwd: XEmacs, UNIX, ESS

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:10:23 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Erik Iverson <iverson at biostat.wisc.edu> wrote:
> I think Dr. Bates is correct.  Luis wants to interact with a shell (say,
> bash) from a separate buffer containing a shell script.  This has nothing to
> do with R or ESS per se, except that the model is the same as he'd like for
> scripting.  So instead of a .R file sending to an R process, a .sh file
> sending to a bash shell...

I disagree since, I don't think its a shell process (such as bash)
that Luis wants to interact with, since he originally wrote that he
wishes to work as he did using ESS under windows...

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Luis F <tiago17 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Mailing List,
>
> I am a biologist, very used to program in R using XEmacs and ESS. I have to
> do some little things in UNIX now. I would love to have something similar to
> what I'm used to with ESS.

The confusion stems from the use of 'shell'.  This has different
meanings depending on your familiarity with different OS's as this
thread has demonstrated, but only Luis can clarify whether he wants to
write an R script(/shell-script) and be able to send lines to an R
process(/shell) running under ESS in Emacs.

Neil
--
"We should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler."  -
Anon (not Albert Einstein)

Email - nshephard at gmail.com
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/