[ESS] Fwd: XEmacs, UNIX, ESS

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 15:59:07 CET 2008

Ooops, I meant to reply to the list and not just Richard (sorry)

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Richard M. Heiberger <rmh at temple.edu> wrote:
> Use ESS.  The behavior is identical on Windows and Unix.

Perhaps Luis' problem is that ESS isn't installed on the *NIX system
he's using and as a consequence the commands he's used to working with
to send lines from the script to the R shell aren't working?

Indeed if this is the case then Emacs will be running a shell and not
R (unless R has been invoked from the shell, which isn't quite the
same as starting R from within Emacs via ESS I believe).

If this is the case Luis has two options...

1) Ask the system administrator to install ESS system-wide.

2) Install ESS in his home directory (see the UNIX section of
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Installation on how to
achieve this, note that the installation is the same for 1) except
your sysadmin will extract files to something like
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess as opposed to ~/emacs).

Neil
--
"We should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler."  -
Anon (not Albert Einstein)

Email - nshephard at gmail.com
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/

Email - nshephard at gmail.com