[ESS] ESS and org-mode

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Nov 18 20:08:23 CET 2008

ts wrote:
> I started using emacs because of ESS. Now, I also find org-mode indispensable.
> See here for an interesting thread on using ESS/Sweave with org-mode files:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/9244
>
> and
>
> http://github.com/eschulte/org-contrib/tree/master
>
> - ts

Hi ts:

Well, maybe you can give us a plain text description.  I read that
thread and it is interesting, but I'm not sure about alot of it.  Like,
what does org mean?  I'm also a little gun-shy.  I spent alot
of time trying to figure out MMM-mode.  I did eventually get it
working, but it required some effort and was a bit clumsy to use.
So, I gave up.  Also, there were some problems with Sweave/SASweave
that have been discussed here in the past and, AFAIK, remain.

And, I don't use git (and I'm not in the mood to learn
another system; I'm still struggling with CVS/SVN).  Finally, I think
we need a different URL (unless I missed it).  I couldn't find
anything about Emacs vs. XEmacs, platforms, etc.  ESS supports many
different versions of emacs.  For example, the XEmacs package
system does not contain org-mode AFAICT.  So, some more information
would be helpful.  Like, what have you done with it that's new/improved
and what would you like to see, yada, yada, yada.

Thanks,

Rodney