[ESS] recognizing R-alpha with ESS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 27 17:56:12 CET 2008

    >> I'd assume they are considerably more rarely in use,
    >> for everyone, so I'd be a bit reluctant to add more strings
    >> there.
    >> Or is the above "slower" not noticable anyway?

    StEgl> ok - let's keep the default as it is, but I think it makes sense to
    StEgl> tell people to edit the ess-r-versions variable if they are going to
    StEgl> call other versions of R.

    StEgl> I'm not sure speed is a serious issue, but perhaps we could
    StEgl> test... (and if it is slow, perhaps "R-1" might be a candidate to be
    StEgl> deleted from ess-r-versions -- anyone using R-1.x.y?)

Sure!  guess who ...  just for testing / historical comparison
etc, ...

but then I should know how to re-add "R-1" to the list for my
personal perusal... ;-)

Martin