[ESS] Problem with ess tab-completion when max.print option is set too low

Erik Iverson iverson at biostat.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 7 17:44:05 CET 2008

Hello -

This took me a bit to track down.  In my ESS process buffer, sometimes
tab-completion was not working on certain functions (noticed it with
unique), yet was working with other functions in the base package.

In my .Rprofile, I have set some options, including:

options(max.print = 1000) ## default is 99999

This is what seems to cause the behavior.  If I have max.print set to
1000 and start R through ESS, and then type uniq<TAB>, it will not find
any completions for unique. ("No completions for uniq" is displayed in
minibuffer.)

When I remove that option, uniq<TAB> does what I expect.

This is with ESS 5.3.6, R 2.6.2.

Thanks,
Erik Iverson