[ESS] using tramp for remote machine processes

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 00:51:07 CET 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:38:54 -0600,
"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Now if there's a way to forward X as in ssh with -X, then this may not
> take much work.

I don't know how that can be done with TRAMP, but one could do:

ForwardX11 yes

in ~/.ssh/config

However, a couple of issues:

1. The X forwarding doesn't seem to happen immediately.  Starting the
   remote process as I described previously, and then doing (say) C-c
   C-v "ls", causes the following help text to be displayed in a
   *help[R](ls)* buffer in the same frame (I use ess-help-own-frame t),
   with ^M characters at the end of the 1st line and beginning of 2nd:

,-----[ *help[R](ls)* (lines: 1 - 2) ]
| WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

-  (press RETURN)
`-----

2. If I kill that buffer, and then plot something
   (e.g. plot(rnorm(100))), no plot is produced and the rest of the help
   page works in the R process, as if working on a shell buffer!

3. Try the plot command above again, and the X Window with the plot is
   produced as expected.

4. Try the ess-help command in 1. again and the help page is now
   properly displayed in its own frame, as expected.  However, the ^M
   characters are still there.

--
Seb