[ESS] Streamlining ESS distribution (Was: ESS 5.3.8 released)

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Jul 30 07:54:28 CEST 2008

Le mar. 29 juil. à 09:44, Martin Maechler a écrit :

>    VG> Dear Martin et al.,
>    VG> In updating the version of ESS in my Emacs distribution for
> Windows to
>    VG> 5.3.8, I started looking into streamlining and otherwise
> improve my
>    VG> package. For example, one thing I did was compile the .el
> files in the
>    VG> lisp/ directory and delete the debian/ directory. I also
> suspect that
>    VG> the LDA/ and fontlock-test/ directories may be safely removed
> from a
>    VG> packaged distribution of ESS. One I was uncertain about,
> though, is
>    VG> the lisp/tmp directory. Is its content needed by ESS? With
> such a
>    VG> name, I would think not. Actually, are the last three
> directories
>    VG> really meant to be in the source distribution? (The README
> file in
>    VG> LDA/, for example, refers to a non-existing file.)
>
>    VG> In a nutshell, I was thinking of distributing only etc/*, doc/
> * and
>    VG> lisp/*.[el,elc]. Am I missing anything important?
>
> maybe lisp/ChangeLog
>
> In principle you should mimic what  'make install' does.
>
> And it currently does
>
> 	for D in lisp doc etc
>        do   cd $D; $(MAKE) install; cd ..
> 	done
>
> so indeed etc/ doc/ and lisp/  should be considered only

Thanks, Martin, for pointing me to the makefiles. This gave me the
idea to build and install my ESS distribution using make, much like I
already have to do for AUCTeX.

For the record, I had to make a following changes to two makefiles:

1. in lisp/Makefile, add essd-sp6w.elc and msdos.elc in the definition
of $ELC. The former is required on Windows, but I'm not sure about the
latter;

2. in doc/Makefile, add stanzas in the install rule to copy the files
doc/ess.[dvi,pdf], doc/readme.[dvi,pdf], ./README, ./ANNOUNCE, doc/
html/[ess,readme].html and doc/refcard/refcard.pdf

Of course, I also tailor the Makeconf file to my needs. People
interested in having a look at my build script can do so here:

	https://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/svn/emacs-modified/trunk/ess_install.sh

Please do not be too critical of my sed scripts as I'm quite a novice.
To make matters worse, the version of sed in MSYS is 3.02, an ancient
one that does not have the -i switch to edit in-place nor the 'a'
command to append to a line.

Oh, by the way, version 22.2-modified-4 of my Emacs distribution for
WIndows in now available. It has ESS 5.3.8.

Cheers,

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat