[ESS] ESS - Website

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Jan 22 16:32:59 CET 2008

>     tony> On 1/16/08, Will <schimpanski at gmx.de> wrote:
>     >> Dear all,
>     >>
>     >> I'd like to ask whether you share my opinion that the ESS might need a
>     >> new layout. I am not thinking of something spectacular, but a more
>     >> hierachical structure which makes it also easier for newbies to see the
>     >> strengths of ESS could helpful, e.g.:
>     >> -What is ESS?
>     >> -How can I get ESS?
>     >> -How can I use ESS?
>     >> -How can I get help for ESS?
>     >> -How can I contribute to ESS?
>     >>

Since we appear to be undertaking this suggestion, I'd like to share my
own thoughts.  I'm hoping that the web page re-design is more about look
and feel than new content.  So, for example, the new "How can I get ESS"
link is just pointing to
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Installation

That way, the web is just a "quick start" overview of the manual.  If
documentation improvements are necessary, then the changes should be in
the manual itself rather than some place that a user might not think to
look.  I don't think I'm explaining this well, so if there are any
questions, please feel free to ask.

Rodney