[ESS] ESS - Website

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 16 15:01:41 CET 2008

    tony> I vote that you can redesign the WWW site.  Probably as it's a fixed
    tony> site, just need to create and maybe Martin can replace it if it is
    tony> better than what we have.  As you point out, it won't be hard.   But
    tony> few of us have time.

Indeed.

If possible I would like to set this up as a small subversion
project, as well (as the R home page is, e.g.
	    	  -> https://svn.r-project.org/R-project-web/),
or even just as sub-directory of the ESS subversion project.

Will, are you volunteering to build a better ESS web page?
Any further / other volunteers?

Regards,
Martin

    tony> On 1/16/08, Will <schimpanski at gmx.de> wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> I'd like to ask whether you share my opinion that the ESS might need a
    >> new layout. I am not thinking of something spectacular, but a more
    >> hierachical structure which makes it also easier for newbies to see the
    >> strengths of ESS could helpful, e.g.:
    >> -What is ESS?
    >> -How can I get ESS?
    >> -How can I use ESS?
    >> -How can I get help for ESS?
    >> -How can I contribute to ESS?
    >>
    >> For example, I find
    >> the R-Homepage <http://www.r-project.org/> or
    >> the Emacs homepage <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>
    >> much more usable.
    >>
    >> I want to point out that I know that all information is contained in the
    >> excellent manuals, but I think that the important information could be
    >> made more visible and easier to access which could contribute to the
    >> reputation of ESS.
    >>
    >> What do you think about that?
    >>
    >> Best, Will

    tony> --
    tony> best,
    tony> -tony

    tony> blindglobe at gmail.com
    tony> Muttenz, Switzerland.
    tony> "Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we
    tony> can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

    tony> Drink Coffee:  Do stupid things faster with more energy!