[ESS] ess beginner issue: evaluate line/region commands

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 14 15:23:38 CET 2008

LeCzar <sirnixu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am trying to use ess together with R, but I am used to simple commands for
> running a line (or region) from the script. The C-c M-j command seems
> inconvenient to me regarding two things:
> 1) I need to press four keys, while I was used (and like the efficiency) to
> two keys in Rkward and R under Windows. Anyone got a solution for
> that?

As Tyler has already suggested, you can rebind commands to shorter keys;
here is one that I have:

(defun my-ess-hook ()
  "Add my keybindings to ESS mode."
  (local-set-key (kbd "C-j") 'ess-eval-line-and-step)
  )

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook 'my-ess-hook)

So then C-j gets you to move down line by line.

Stephen