[ESS] Using anything.el for R help / object browsing

Short, Tom TShort at epri.com
Fri Dec 5 15:27:22 CET 2008

Vitalie,

anything-c-source-occur is in
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/anything-config.el , so it should be
brought in with (require 'anything-config).

occur (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OccurMode) lists all lines of the
current buffer that match a regexp that you give it. I use that more
than standard search. You can highlight parts of your file then jump to
them; it's great for highlighting object usage in a buffer. You should
be able to type "M-x occur" to try it. The item above lets you do the
same thing through anything.

> b)  anything-c-source-imenu list all function declarations in current

> elisp buffer, could a similar feature be implemented for Rbuffers??
Would
> be great. There was a feature in ess - through menu click you could
see
> all functions and objects in your buffer, now I can not find that any

> more, nor interactive functions for that :(.

That's already implemented. In an R buffer, look for the menu Imenu-S.
anything-c-source-imenu gives you the same access through anything
(though mine seems a bit broken -- there are several variations here
that I need to try: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AnythingSources#toc1
).

> c) object listing for R process you implemented - could that list be
> sorted (or may be split) accordingly to the type of object?

Yes, that's possible. It would also be nice to get an rdired-type view
with a more information on objects besides just the name. When I have
time, I'll explore.

- Tom