[ESS] Language setting for ESS help buffer

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Aug 5 20:24:40 CEST 2008

Kevin Wright wrote:
> My setup: GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600), ESS 5.3.8, Windows XP
>
> Sometimes in my ESS help buffer I see:
>
> \221Character indices\222
>
> instead of 'Character indices'.
>
> Is this normal? Is there a setting that controls this? I experimented
> with MULE settings, but that did not seem to have any effect.
>
> Thanks for any tips,
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin:

Apparently, the ESS help buffer is rendered in the 1252 codepage, but
the font that you are viewing does not have glyphs for those codepoints
(left/right curved quote).  See codepoints 145/146 at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1252

Codepages were real big back in the 80s, but they were never much fun.
There were too many common variants and no way to tell which codepage
your file was encoded in:  extended ascii, ansi, international, etc.

Rodney