[ESS] tcsh, bash, and the inferior R process

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 21:38:01 CEST 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:21:28 -0500,
Erik Iverson <iverson at biostat.wisc.edu> wrote:

[...]

> I use KDE, and have a button to launch it.  I tried launching Xemacs
> from a terminal, and both of my problems went away.

> Any ideas on why this makes a difference ?

When you launch a program from the command line (whatever the shell you're
using), many programs (Emacs included) try to read variables that have
been set by that particular shell.  If you launch them through KDE's
buttons those variables don't get set or get a value that is not what you
set them to in the shell (through ~/.bashrc for instance).  I've
encountered this before, but can't remember how I dealt with it now.  I'll
try to dig that out and get back later.

--
Seb