[ESS] max lisp eval depth & ESS

Chris Evans chris at psyctc.org
Sat Jun 30 10:18:38 CEST 2007

Richard M. Heiberger sent the following  at 28/06/2007 16:00:
> I always use C-c C-n.
> It is very fast because both are ctrl keys.

And I now see that the default to submit a line is C-c C-j, I had
misread it as C-c M-j

> Keyboard commands are normally much faster than shifting the
> mouse to some menu somewhere.

Yes, I'm mostly a keyboard maven but I pretty much only go to submitting
a line at a time (instead of my beloved C-c C-c) when I'm in mental
debugging mode when lifting my fingers from the keyboard and
contemplatively clicking through has become my preferred option.
Creature of habit me.  I think I'll find the slightly different
distribution of commands across the menus a muddling factor too but
oddly enough I've always used Emacs on my linux box (usually in an
utterly basic ssh shell window from remote windoze so toolbars no issue
there and very rarely editing R).  Maybe I should transfer and unify
what I do!

> The ess-eval functions are on the menu.  From within
> a myfile.r buffer, click on the ESS menu item and find them.
> The menu item gives the keystrokes as an encouragement to use them.

Yes and it's one of those wonderful touches that should that the
brilliant programmers who created ESS are also real users, or can think
like them!

> There is also a toolbar option, which I turned off, that gives
> buttons for sending stuff.

And I'm probably now wasting list time pursuing the fact that this
doesn't seem to come up on invoking ESS in my installation of Emacs/ESS!

Cheers all,

Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org> Skype: chris-psyctc
Professor of Psychotherapy, Nottingham University;
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Notts PDD network;
Research Programmes Director, Nottinghamshire NHS Trust;
*If I am writing from one of those roles, it will be clear. Otherwise*
*my views are my own and not representative of those institutions    *