[ESS] swv proposal: passing options 'remote' and 'raise' to xpdf

Patrick Drechsler patrick at pdrechsler.de
Fri Jun 15 22:43:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

using the function `M-n P' (`ess-swv-PDF') more than once without
closing xpdf will prompt me

A command is running. Kill it? (y or n)

every time.

Would it be useful to include passing the "remote" and "raise" option
to xpdf (when xpdf is the default PDF viewer)? This way xpdf will be
updated automatically without further user input (on the current
page).

What do other people think?

Caveat: I do not know if the other PDF viewers defined in ess.el
(evince, kpdf) support a feature like this. I only know that acroread
doesn't. So it might not be worth the effort.

AUCTeX uses this:

./tex.el:449:    ("^pdf$" "." "xpdf -remote %s -raise %o %(outpage)")

I guess this would either have to go to

lisp/ess.el in the function ess-get-pdf-viewer

or in

lisp/ess-swv-PDF in the function ess-swv-PDF

I have tried adopting this idea, but my Lisp isn't that good.

Cheers,

Patrick

PS: My current workaround is to replace the term "latex" with
"pdflatex" in the function ess-swv-pdflatex and remapping a key. This
way I can invoke pdflatex, switch to xpdf in my window manager and
press "r" to reload the PDF.
--
Snoopy (on being house-trained with a rolled-up newspaper):
It does tend however to give one a rather distorted view of the press!