[ESS] Emacs 22.1 is out!

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Jun 8 18:24:16 CEST 2007

Le 07-06-08 à 11:51, Martin Maechler a écrit :

>     VG> Hi all,
>     VG> For those interested to effortless upgrade to 22.1 on
> Windows, I
>     VG> updated my modified Emacs distribution; see
>
>     VG> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/
>
>     VG> As strange as it may seem, I am not a Windows user myself
> (I build
>     VG> this distribution for my students), so I would appreciate
> you let me
>     VG> know if you run into any problem or difficulty.
>
>     MM> Thank you, Vincent.
>
>     MM> As you know, I'm not a windows users either.
>
>     MM> However, as it so happens someone just reported a problem
>     MM> with one of my R packages --- on Windows only --.
>
>     MM> So I tried your installation, on our "Windows Terminal Server'
>     MM> After installation, etc
>     MM> when I do
>
>     MM> M-x R
>
>     MM> I get the error
>
>     MM> "apply: Spawning child process: invalid argument:"
>
>     MM> end with an empty *R* buffer
>     MM> and an *ESS* buffer that looks +- ok,
>     MM> ending in
>     MM>
> ---
>
>     MM> (inf-ess finish [S(R), c:/program files/r/r-2.5.0/bin/
> rterm.exe(nil,nil)]

>     MM> Making Process...Buf *R*, Proc R, Prog c:/program files/r/
> r-2.5.0/bin/rterm.exe
>     MM> Start File=nil, Args= --ess  .
>
>     MM>
> ---
>
>     MM> I did leave  ess-site.el  unchanged.
>
>     MM> Any hints are appreciated,
>
> Actually, I found it myself:
>
> It's a buglet in (the Windows parts) of ESS :
> I've installed "R 2.5.0 patched" (from CRAN),
> but ESS determines the executable with a wrong PATH :
>
>   c:/program files/r/r-2.5.0/bin/rterm.exe
>
> where as correct would be
>
>   c:/program files/r/r-2.5.0pat/bin/rterm.exe
> 			    ^^^
>
> Ok, so now it's back to us ESS-core to fix that ...
> and provide a new release for ESS  ...
>
> Not something I had exactly wanted to do just now,
> but maybe that's a good incentive

As you can tell from my other message, I don't consider this a bug in
ESS at all. Well, we step on each other's feet, heh? I honestly
didn't know ESS contained "good guesses" for paths and always forced
the path in my installations. How good is ESS to guess on R updates?
I might as well remove a few lines of the site-start.el file..

Vincent