[ESS] Path completion

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jul 11 19:47:13 CEST 2007

Hi,

Using Emacs 22.1 and ESS-5.3.5 on Windows XP, file name completion doesn't work if there are spaces in the path. I see that this issue was raised back in 2005 by Vaidotas Zemlys with no response (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2005-September/002882.html), and also discussed re Debian Sarge (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2005-March/002498.html).

So, here is what I am seeing:

When editing an *.R file if there are no spaces in the path, Esc Tab will complete the filename. If there are spaces, I get path completion up to where I have typed and an error in the minibuffer saying e.g., 'No completions of Settings/J' when I was trying to complete the path C:/Documents and Settings/Jim. My druthers here would be for Tab to do the completion without having to hit Esc first (and we all know that M-Tab isn't gonna work on Windoze...).

In an *R* buffer with no spaces in the working directory path, a simple Tab will complete the file name. If there are spaces in the path to the working directory I get the same results as when editing an *.R file.

Note that path completion works without problem using ESS/Xemacs. Also, the 'Complete ==> Complete File Name menu item will do the path completion in Emacs (in an inferior R buffer), but if I wanted to keep grabbing my mouse, I would be using Word ;-D.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Jim

--