[ESS] ESS toolbar not displayed

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 13:31:08 CET 2007

Dear Gabriel,

 > I'm running R under Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy, using Emacs + ESS and I love
 > it!

great!  `What version of Emacs, and what version of ESS are you using?

  > Unfortunately, the toolbar is not displayed and that makes things
 > a LOT more difficult. Actually, I see the standard Emacs toolbar,
 > but not the ESS icons.  I already tried changing the path to
 > '/etc/icons' but it didn't work.

You shouldn't need to change anything from the standard install, it
should just work.

 > I've read every single post and changed my .emacs file a dozen
 > times, without

What happens if you try a a minimal .emacs with just:

(load "~/langs/emacs/ess/lisp/ess-site")

or whatever one-liner you use to load ESS?

Then visit an R file, or create a new one called new.R -- what toolbar
icons appear?

Stephen