[ESS] "Bug" when quitting Emacs with R opened

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 29 15:08:33 CEST 2007

    VG> [Working with my version of GNU Emacs 22.1 for Windows]
    VG> If one quits Emacs while an R process is still open (answering "yes"
    VG> when prompted that a process is still active), a window pops up
    VG> reporting a problem terminating rterm.exe. Clicking Terminate Now (or
    VG> whatever the button is labeled, I only have a French version of
    VG> Windows at hand) seems to solve the problem. I never noticed any
    VG> particular negative effect of this, it is just annoying since it is
    VG> not uncommon to leave Emacs without first quitting R.

    VG> This only happened to me on Windows (Linux and OS X being the other
    VG> OSes tested).

    VG> Can this be "cured" at the ESS level?

Yes, I think so, particularly if you doubly quote the word "cured":

As a Unix (Linux) user, I have had for quite some time

   (custom-set-variables

     '(inferior-R-args "--no-restore-history --no-save ")

   )

in my ~/.emacs.  I assume there's something like ~/.emacs also
in Windows, though it will probably depend on the various settings
{On my Windows Server setup,
   > path.expand("~/")
 works nicely in R,
 and e.g.,
   > file.exists("~/.emacs")
 gives TRUE, but
   > file.show("~/.emacs")
 then says that "~/.emacs" does not exist
}

This "cures" the problem the way I want:
     It never asks about saving the R workspace or history when finishing the
     R process and also doesn't try to use a history file.
This make  C-c C-q  work the way it is useful to me... namely
quick without any further questions asked.

But even if this works on Windows (RGui) the same way,
I'm not sure if you (Vincent) should put it into your
    Emacs+ESS_for_R
setup for the average windows user.
My impression is they love to work with workspaces and need
gradually be converted to using R source files instead.

Martin