[ESS] "Bug" when quitting Emacs with R opened

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Aug 29 06:59:16 CEST 2007

[Working with my version of GNU Emacs 22.1 for Windows]

If one quits Emacs while an R process is still open (answering "yes"
when prompted that a process is still active), a window pops up
reporting a problem terminating rterm.exe. Clicking Terminate Now (or
whatever the button is labeled, I only have a French version of
Windows at hand) seems to solve the problem. I never noticed any
particular negative effect of this, it is just annoying since it is
not uncommon to leave Emacs without first quitting R.

This only happened to me on Windows (Linux and OS X being the other
OSes tested).

Can this be "cured" at the ESS level?

Vincent