[ESS] "Cannot open load file" "essl-bugs" / Renamed version of R

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 05:05:48 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've two small problems I'd like to solicit help with.

Problem 1 - ESS fails to find essl-bugs

I've a small problem with ESS-5.3.3.  Upon starting Emacs the
following error occurs (started with --debug-init for additional
information)....

<----Start debug info---->
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "essl-bugs")
  require(essl-bugs)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "~/emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/ess-site" nil t)
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/nshephard/emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/ess-site.el"
"~/emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/ess-site" nil nil)
  load("~/emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/ess-site")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "~/.emacs" nil t)
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/nshephard/.emacs" "~/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil "^H\205\227^@   Æ=\203^Q^@Ç^HÈQ\2025^@
É=\203'^@ÊÇËÌ#\203#^@Í\2025^@Î\2025^@
Ï=\2031^@Ð\2025^@Ç^HÑQ^ZÒ^SÓ\nÒ\211#\210^KÒ=\203F^@Ë^S^K\203\2$
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
<----Finish debug info---->

The file essl-bugs file exists and is read-able since...

$ ls -l emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/ess*bugs*
-r--r--r--    1 nshephard sgeusers     9681 Sep 26 15:17
emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/essd-bugs.el
-r--r--r--    1 nshephard sgeusers     8716 Sep 26 15:17
emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/essl-bugs.el

Problem 2 - R executable has been renamed

On this particular system which is multi-processor grid system, the
admin has done some renaming of the scripts.  As a result the script
that starts an interactive session of R is now called Rinteractive.
The R script now does something fancy to fire off R in batch mode to
one of the nodes on the grid (sorry can't be more explicit on this
since I really don't understand whats been done).

Anyway, as a results M-x R fails to start R interactively, so I'd like
to modify ESS so that M-X R calls Rinteractive.  I've had a read
through emacs/ess-5.3.3/lisp/essd-r.el but am not in the slightest bit
familiar with lisp, and despite reading the comments carefully
couldn't see where to make the relevant modification.

If anyone has any insight as to how to resolve either of these
problems I'd be very grateful,

Thanks,

Neil
--
"An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more
interesting than sex." - Aldous Huxley

Email - nshephard at gmail.com / neilshep at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/