[ESS] par(ask=T) in ESS

Christophe Pallier christophe.pallier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 10:11:34 CEST 2006

Hello,

This is my first post to this list. First, I want to thank the ESS
developpers: great package!

I have a small problem, however:

I could not find a way to use par(mfcol=c(x,x),ask=T) in Emacs/ESS.
I need to press Ctrl-G, to interrupt the evaluation, and if I type
enter in the *R* window,
only part of the second graphics graphics is displayed (I use multplue
graphs on one plotting window).

Here is an example code:

sig1 <- ts(sin(2*pi*t/100),frequency=10)
sig2 <- ts(sin(2*pi*t/50),frequency=10)

s1 <- spectrum(sig1,plot=FALSE)
s2 <- spectrum(sig2,plot=FALSE)

z1 <- fft(sig1)
z2 <- fft(sig2)

par(mfrow=c(2,2),ask=F)
plot(sig1,type='l',col='red')
plot(s1$freq,s1$spec,log='x')
plot(sig2,type='l',col='blue')
plot(s2$freq,s2$spec,log='x')

par(mfrow=c(2,2),ask=T)
plot(sig1,type='l',col='red')
plot(abs(z1))
plot(sig2,type='l',col='blue')
plot(abs(z2))

Is there any way to make par(ask=T) work under ESS? Or is it a bad
idea to expect interaction between the *R* process while it is
evaluating a region?

Actually, I need to use 'par(ask=T)' because I am trying to avoid
opening new windows for each graphics because this is not portable
(x11() for linux does not work when I send my code to my colleagues
using Windows').

--
Christophe Pallier
(contact info at http://www.pallier.org)