[ESS] NEWBIE: Unable to print graphs

Zembower, Kevin kzembowe at jhuccp.org
Fri Nov 10 16:57:33 CET 2006

I've just started to use ESS for R, and am new to emacs as well, so this
may be the root cause of my problems. I've installed XEmacs and R under
Windows according to John Fox' directions. XEmacs and R seem to be
working; I can send R commands from the upper to the lower window and
have them executed. Generation of graphs also seems to work correctly,
with the graph appearing in a separate window. However, if I try to
print the graph by using the File->Print... command, the menu hangs open
and the window appears to hang -- if it is covered by another window,
when revealed it doesn't refresh, the covered portions remain blank.

I also thought that somehow, I saw a message in the R window similar to
"Printer cannot be found." However, I'm unable to reproduce that now.

Printing works normally from both the upper and lower buffer windows in
XEmacs.

Thanks for any suggestions to correct this problem. Googling didn't
point me to any obvious things to fix.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager