[ESS] Hyperlinks in help pages

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 21 09:20:45 CET 2006

    AndrK> Martin, two things for me (I guess they are the same
    AndrK> as for several others):

    AndrK> 1) ss does nothing, in fact, I get a message saying
    AndrK> that "s s is undefined".

    AndrK> 2) If I move down manually to summary.lm and press h
    AndrK> I get the message "Help on:"

Yes. I understood;  and the same applies to Frede.
But it means there's a considerable problem / bug in your
Emacs/ESS setup.

The help-mode section commands are governed by the variable
  ess-help-sec-keys-alist

This should be 'nil' after starting Emacs
and should become [C-h v ess-help-sec-keys-alist]

  >> ess-help-sec-keys-alist's value is shown below.
  >>
  >> Documentation:
  >> Alist of (key . string) pairs for use in section searching.
  >>
  >> Defined in `ess-cust'.
  >>
  >> Value:
  >> ((97 . "\\s *Arguments:")
  >>  (100 . "\\s *Description:")
  >>  (68 . "\\s *Details:")
  >>  (101 . "\\s *Examples:")
  >>  (110 . "\\s *Note:")
  >>  (114 . "\\s *References:")
  >>  (115 . "\\s *See Also:")
  >>  (117 . "\\s *Usage:")
  >>  (118 . "\\s *Value[s]?"))

after M-x R
(M-x S or M-x S+ or ...
 will define a different list, since the S-plus help
 pages look a bit different).

---

I guess something is badly wrong in your emacs initialization if
you don't get the above; but I don't know.
Could it be that you are accidentally mixing two different
installations of ESS, e.g. one that ``comes with your system''
and one that you set up yourself?

    AndrK> Andreas