[ESS] Updated instructions/init file for XEmacs and Windows

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 13 02:40:07 CET 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, John Fox wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Thanks to Rodney Sparapani, I was able to simplify further my init.el file
> and instructions for using ESS with XEmacs under windows. The new materials
> are posted to my web site at
> <http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/ess-xemacs.pdf>.
> Now one only has to (1) do a default install of Xemacs; (2) download and
> unzip ESS; (3) download my init.el file.
>
> John

This is a very helpful bit of work John. I have installed XEmacs and ESS
and both seem to be working. I also use XEmacs for TeX so have used your
suggestion of having an Rinit.el.

It will be interesting to see how I like working with your setup over
time. I have been using WinEdt up until now, but am trying to standardise
on XEmacs because I also use a linux box.

A couple of points:

The Quickstart Package Guide at www.xemacs.org seems to suggest installing
under Program Files. Any reason why you chose to install in C:\XEmacs?

The location of ess-site.el is hard-coded in your init.el. On unix, and
with my previous installation of ESS I could use just
(require 'ess-site)
rather than
(load whatever)
Likewise with Auctex I just have (require 'tex-site). The require format
seems preferable and means you don't have to update your init.el when
installing a new version (plus you don't have to change your website
document). Maybe a question for emacs gurus.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland	NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics