[ESS] xargs XEmacs bug squashed

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jan 11 02:56:13 CET 2006

Dear Rodney,

I tried today to get the current XEmacs for Windows to work with the current
ESS, with a view towards updating my init file and installation
instructions. So far, after the following steps (mostly following the
directions in the ESS manual), I've been unsuccessful:

(1) I downloaded the Windows installer for version 21.4.18 of XEmacs and did
a default install.

(2) I downloaded ess-5.2.11.zip and unzipped it in C:\XEmacs\ess.

(3) I created an init.el file with the following contents in the
subdirectory .xemacs under my home directory:

	(load "C:/XEmacs/ess/ess-5.2.11/lisp/ess-site")
	(setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/R/R-2.2.1/bin/rterm.exe")

(4) Starting up Xemacs produced the dreaded "xargs" error (as expected):

	Searching for program: No such file or directory, xargs

(5) Using the XEmacs package menu, I updated xemacs-base to the pre-release
version (since this is supposed to fix the "xargs" error).

(6) I closed XEmacs and restarted it. This produced the following warning
(in a *Warnings* buffer):

	(warning/warning) Autoload error in:
c:\XEmacs\Packages\xemacs-packages\lisp\xemacs-base\auto-autoloads:
	Already loaded

I messed around a bit after this, but haven't been able to get past this
error. The auto-autoloads.el file says that it shouldn't be modified. Note
that these problems are independent of the init.el file that I distribute,
and which, along with ESS, actually still seems to work.

As before, I'm willing to update my init file and associated document, but
I'm stuck at this point and don't have a great deal of time to persist.

Regards,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology