[ESS] Is there a way of incorporating graphics in ESS transcripts?

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Fri Jan 6 19:06:25 CET 2006

I'm looking for an easy way to incorporate graphics in ESS transcripts,
so that I can have plots as well as text and tabular output in a text
transcript of an R session.  I want to use this as way of keeping track
of the work I do, in an interactive & ongoing manner (i.e., as I develop
& run new commands, I want to add the commands and output, both text and
graphical, to my transcript.)

I've searched through the ESS documentation, and searched on the WWW,
but I can't find anything that talks about incorporating R graphics in
ESS transcripts.  (Did I miss anything?)

It looks like Emacs has gained the ability to display graphics in files,
but I'm not sure whether this is usable in ordinary text files (or
whether there are any suitable vector graphics formats that can be used.)

Alternatives that I've considered are:

(1) AucTex with its preview feature.  The disadvantage of this is that
it makes it more cumbersome to keep a simple transcript, and what mode
would I use for the buffer that contained the transcript? -- probably
some tex mode, whereas I would prefer an ess mode.

(2) OpenOffice.org writer document.  At work I'm currently using a
system where I've got OpenOffice.org & S-PLUS talking to each other and
can easily insert graphics in the document, and send commands from
transcripts in the document to S-PLUS.  However, I'd rather edit my
transcripts in emacs, and I haven't done the work to get OpenOffice.org
talking with R.

(3) Sweave.  This appears to produce very nice documents, but AFAICS
it's not suitable for my purposes because I need to be able to
interactively modify & rerun just selected commands from the
transcripts.  My work involves intensive computation, so a document
might have commands that take several weeks to run.  Rerunning all the
commands whenever something is changed or added to is not feasible.

Any suggestions?

Tony Plate