[ESS] frequent crashes with current cvs-emacs and ess 5.3.3 and R 2.4.0 using ubuntu dapper

Patrick Drechsler patrick at pdrechsler.de
Thu Dec 14 04:18:47 CET 2006

Hi,

is anybody else suffering from frequent, unreproducible cvs-emacs crashes?

Here is what I do (using Ubuntu Dapper; Gnome as window manager):

Open 4-5 emacs sessions with Rnw files on different desktops. Start an R
session in each of them. Run Sweave. Sooner or later when switching
desktops all of my emacs buffers will vanish. No error, no backtrace,
nothing. These emacs sessions are gone.

I have not found a way to reproduce this error. The only thing I have
noticed is that only those Emacs sessions crash (better: disappear)
which have a running R session. I am not using any kind of Emacs server
(gnuserv, etc).

Any idea on how to backtrack this error?

I am using this version of cvs-emacs:

GNU Emacs 22.0.91.14 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20) of
2006-12-12 on trurl

And this version of ESS: 5.3.3:

Included in ~/.emacs.d/init.el via:

(load "~/.emacs.d/mysitelisp/ess/ess-5.3.3/lisp/ess-site")

Tried both of the following:
R (build from source): 2.4.0
R (package for Ubuntu from cran repsitory): 2.4.0

TIA

Patrick