[ESS] about ess-rdired

Martin Ivanov tramni at abv.bg
Tue Dec 5 13:49:30 CET 2006

Hello!
I am running Slackware Linux 11.0 with kernel 2.6.18, emacs (GnuEmacs) emacs-21.4a-i486-3 and ess-5.3.3. I untarred the ess souce, and compiled and  installed with "make" and "gmake install" as recommended in the instructions. R works ok within emacs. The only problem is with the file "ess-rdired.el", which has to be loaded when typing M-x ess-rdired. Actually that file was not installed on my system like, for example the ess-site file, which is in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess-site.el. The ess-dired file is still in the directory that was generated by the untarring of the source. So in my .emacs file I have to load the ess-dired file from my local directory, instead of from some system directory. I think there is some way that the ess-dired.el file goes to
some system directory, /usr/share/emacs/ess-lisp, for example.

Probably something has to be tweaked in the Makeconf file, so that "gmake install" send the file ess-rdired to /usr/share/emacs/ess-lisp as well?

I thank you very much in advance.
Regards,
Martin