[ESS] ESS and Splus under Windows XP

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Apr 20 05:02:14 CEST 2006

Hmm.  So now the question becomes, where is your S-Plus?

In the emacs *scratch* buffer enter

(dos-canonical-name "d:/Program Files/Insightful/Splus70")
followed by C-j
This is a Gnu Emacs command.  I don't know if it works in Xemacs.

On my system, with the default location for S-Plus, it reports

(w32-short-file-name "c:/Program Files/Insightful/Splus70")
"c:/PROGRA~1/INSIGH~1/Splus70"

If it doesn't work, then go to the MS-DOS prompt window (enter CMD at the
Start/Run entry) and type dir/x to find out what the correct 8.3 abbreviation
is for your setup.  It is usually progra~1, but it doesn't have to be that.

Rich