[ESS] Emacs windows and Interactive SAS

Cameron Hooper chooper at umich.edu
Wed Sep 14 02:36:15 CEST 2005

Dear list

I've been running SAS interactively within emacs using ESS (5.2.10) for
a while now with great success. However, I personally do not like the
way starting up iESS[SAS] mode (M-x SAS) divides the screen into 4
separate windows. I prefer to divide the screen into 3 windows like
this (I am using running emacs in a terminal window):

---------------------------------|
|               |                |
|               |                |
|               |                |
|               |                |
|--------------------------------|
|                                |
|                                |
|                                |
|--------------------------------|

I place SAS code in the upper left, the log file in the upper right and
the lst file in the lower half.

Setting this up each time is a bit of a pain, but I lack the knowledge
necessary to automate the process. So I thought I would take a chance
and ask the list if anyone could help me out. I don't know if this is a
easy or difficult job. Ideally I could add some code to .emacs giving
me the ability to move from the default 4 windows to the desired 3
window layout. (Even better ESS does this by default but I doubt
everyone agrees with my preferred layout!)

Probably an unreasonable request, but I thought I might as well ask.

Thanks,

Cameron