[ESS] Help in separate emacs frame

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Tue Sep 13 21:37:54 CEST 2005

Greetings ESS users:

Remember way back when I was the one bothering everybody about creating
a way for users to start R in a separate window and have ESS display
help in a separate Frame as well. I think that was back in the ess-5.2.4
era, and for a while everything worked the way I liked.

Recently, I think with the introduction of ess-5.2.7, I see a funny
thing happens.  If I type

 > ?hist

in an ESS/R session window (the Frame where R is running and you can
type commands directly into R), then the help appears in a separate buffer.

However, inside an R command file, the command

?hist

sent to R through the ESS "eval" command does not open a new window.
Instead, help shows in the ESS/R window itself.

Perhaps I have guessed wrong on the init commands for the ESS session.
Here is what I've got in

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/emacs-ess-init.el

-----------------------
(require 'ess-site)
(setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)
(setq inferior-ess-same-window nil)

;;create a new frame for each help instance

(setq ess-help-own-frame t)
;; If you want all help
;; buffers to go into one frame do:

(setq ess-help-own-frame 'one)

If you have any advice about how to make the behavior more uniform, so
that ?hist from either the R file or the session launches a help frame,
I'd be glad to hear it.

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504