[ESS] Apologies: Ess-version and Emac's Info

gerald.jean at dgag.ca gerald.jean at dgag.ca
Tue Sep 13 20:43:15 CEST 2005

Hello all,

Martin's comments prompted me to check what was on the the
"Info-default-directory-list" variable and of course I found:

1) that both 5.2.3 and 5.2.10 were on that list and
2) that 5.2.3 preceded 5.2.10 on that list, hence having the documentation
for 5.2.3 in the ESS' node in the Emacs Info.

I searched my ".emacs" file for 5.2.3 and I found that I had exactly Rick's
suggestion but for 5.2.3, i.e.

(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
"/home/jeg002/gerald-lisp/ess-5.2.3/doc/")

I removed that line and it worked out of the box, 5.2.10 doc's showing up
in the ESS's Emacs Info node without me setting anything.

My apologies again to not have fully done my homework before asking and
thanks again for such a great package.

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques, Actuariat
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: gerald.jean at dgag.ca

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

                      Martin Maechler
                      <maechler at stat.ma         Pour :   gerald.jean at dgag.ca
                      th.ethz.ch>               cc :     "Richard M. Heiberger" <rmh at temple.edu>
                                                ESS-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
                      2005/09/13 03:34          Objet :  Re: [ESS] Ess-version and Emac's Info
                      Veuillez répondre
                      à Martin Maechler

    RMH> You need a line like this
    (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
"/home/jeg002/gerald-lisp/ess-5.2.10/doc/")

 or rather  ............/doc/info/" ?

However, I don't understand why you'd need to do this manually
since the ess-site.el[c] file that you load (when enabling ESS on
startup) should do this automatically.....

Let's see:  "As always"  find the documentation in emacs itself,
e.g. C-h v Info-default-directory-list

which for me gives

>> Info-default-directory-list's value is
>> ("/sfs/u/staff/maechler/emacs/ess/doc/info/" "/usr/local/info/"
"/usr/local/share/info/" "/usr/local/gnu/info/" "/usr/local/gnu/lib/info/"
"/usr/local/gnu/lib/emacs/info/" "/usr/local/emacs/info/"
"/usr/local/lib/info/" "/usr/local/lib/emacs/info/" "/usr/share/info/"
"/usr/share/info/")

>> Documentation:
>> Default list of directories to search for Info documentation files.
>> They are searched in the order they are given in the list.
>> Therefore, the directory of Info files that come with Emacs
>> normally should come last (so that local files override standard ones),
>> unless Emacs is installed into a non-standard directory.  In the latter
>> case, the directory of Info files that come with Emacs should be
>> first in this list.
>>
>> Once Info is started, the list of directories to search
>> comes from the variable `Info-directory-list'.
>> This variable `Info-default-directory-list' is used as the default
>> for initializing `Info-directory-list' when Info is started, unless
>> the environment variable INFOPATH is set.

And I think the last paragraph contains the solution:

I'm sure that you have an INFOPATH environment variable set
before you start emacs.  It takes *precedence* over any
Info-default-directory-list settings,
and hence probably Seth' solution would work but Rich's might fail.

Hence I guess you need
(with a login shell , bash / sh / ksh / .. )

  unset INFOPATH
or
  INFOPATH=/home/jeg002/gerald-lisp/ess-5.2.10/doc/lisp/:${INFOPATH}
  export INFOPATH

or when your login shell is  csh/tcsh/...  a similar thing using
 setenv INFOPATH ......

in your login startup file { ~/.profile, ~/.login, or whatever
                                          applies to your login shell setup
}

Regards,
Martin Maechler